RICH BEEF TAGLIATELLE PASTA
Treat the one you love to the perfect Valentine's Day dinner...
Impress your Valentine with a romantic meal for two. A beautiful balance of richness and flavour, this indulgent beef tagliatelle is a wonderful choice for any date night to show how much you care. So set your table, light some candles, uncork your favourite red wine and enjoy.
PREP: 10 mins
COOK: 1 hr 45 mins
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- ½ celery stick, finely diced
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 250g lean minced beef steak
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml beef stock
- 100ml red wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 200g dried tagliatelle
- Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Fry over a medium heat for 15 mins, stirring now and then, until softened and starting to colour.
2. Stir in the mince and cook until browned. Break up any clumps of meat with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the garlic, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, oregano and thyme, and cook for 1-2 mins more. Pour in the wine and increase the heat to boil off most of the alcohol. Reduce the heat, stir in the stock and season with salt to taste. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and leave to cook gently for 1 hr or until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
4. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 15 mins. Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle following pack instructions. Save a quarter cup of cooking water, then drain the pasta and add to the beef sauce. Add the cooking water and toss well to help the sauce coat the tagliatelle.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with parsley and plenty of freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.
Written by Francesca Hadland