Price: Low to High
Price: High to Low
- Even though this might be obvious, it is definitely worth mentioning weed control. Keep the garden free of weeds, unless you are creating something based around them. Here you can find some useful tips to control weeds.
- Dig up the ground before planting and remove all the weeds as mentioned above.
- Make a plan if you want to re-design the garden for this summer.
- You might want to consider planting lavender since it grows very well in April.
- Towards the end of the month you can start planting summer bulbs.
- It is very useful to plant ground cover plants.
- In order for climbers to resist strong wind, firmly bind together the plant with whatever it is attached to. Make sure to check this regularly.
- Give tub plants enough fertilizer to last the entire season.
- If it starts to get a little colder again, cover young plants (less than one year-old) with a fleece blanket.
- Fertilise hedges with special hedge manure. Spread it within a 4 week period between seasons - April is the perfect month.
- From mid-April, put tub plants outside for the afternoon only. From May on they can stay there in the evening and overnight.
- Now you can plant your strawberries either in rows in the ground, in tubes or in hanging baskets.
- Plant tomato, paprika, cucumber and pumpkin plants inside. If you own a greenhouse, you can plant them in there. Click here for DIY greenhouse projects.
- This month is perfect to plant potatoes.
- Sow seed on bald spots.
- Fill pits with soil and also sow these.
- Fertilise the lawn.
- If you have not done this yet, aerate your lawn. Click here to find out how to do this.
- Remove plant-remains from the pond.
- Clear up the the pond by controlling algae. An easy and effective way to do this is by putting a bale of barley straw in the water. This can clear the pond of algae for about 4 to 6 months.
- Clean the pond's pumps and filters if there are any.
- Do not plant water plants yet - wait until the water gets warmer in May.